About Me

My photo
I love cheetahs and coffee and opening boxes.

Sunday, April 10, 2011

How Genetically Modified Foods Soil Birthdays

Yesterday was my boyfriend's 22nd birthday.  This is what my boyfriend looks like:


Despite that cartoon, he is a real person.  His name is Mike.  He's good at games, he'd want you to know that.

Recently, Mike and I have stopped eating meat.  He still eats fish, but I have become a one hundred percent vegetarian.  The reasons are varied on my end and maybe I'll get into that later in another post, but Mike's reasons are mostly health related.  (Part of my reason is because I just want to prove I can do it).

Anyway, Mike has been all hyped up about soy and other protein supplements.  I came into some very unfortunate news, though, the day before his birthday that a lot of soy is genetically modified.

This sent Mike on an explosive google rampage where he taught himself that a lot of places that claim to be organic started out that way but have since changed.  Mike was very sad and began saying very crazy things.

What the hell does high fructose corn syrup look like?

We had originally planned to go to the Cheesecake Factory for his birthday, but he was so distraught that he said things like, "I'm going to lay out in the sun and try to become photosynthetic."


I ended his misery-saturated (he would like you to know that the word "misery" is a huge hyperbole as he had a fun yesterday) birthday by bringing him to a health food store that guaranteed (to the best of their knowledge) they had no pesticides, no genetically modified foods and no high fructose corn syrup in any of their store.

Later that night I saw him eat ice cream and salsa with maltodextrin in it.  He's calmed down significantly and has since become distracted with the MMO mouse I got him. 

And tonight, we're even going to the Cheesecake Factory.  I'm not sure if this is compromise, or if he is surrendering himself to an inevitably unhealthy lifestyle.   


*Sorry if this post felt rushed, I did it while waiting for Mike to take a shower so we can finally go to the Cheesecake Factory.  Don't count this as a real post.

No comments:

Post a Comment